Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Is it Relationship or Religion? What about Responsibility?

I saw this article this morning and was deeply convicted, not only for myself but for the Christian community in general. Then later today, there was a post on the 106.9 The Light Facebook page. I read the comments and was shocked that everyone seemed to have the idea the article was a debate over relationship vs. religion. I think we are missing the point. The issue with this article isn't about the debate of relationship or religion. z
We need to look deeper. Don't we need to KNOW what we believe in? YES, our walk and salvation is about a relationship with Christ... but then what? Aren't we called to share the gospel? How can we share what we do not know? How can we be CHRIST-LIKE if we aren't studying CHRIST. Why do you believe what you believe?
Another point, how can we be in battle if we don't know the enemy? The first rule of warfare is to know the enemy. "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood (man), but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places"- Ephesians 6:12. We are in spiritual warfare! Our battle isn't against the OTHER religions, it is about the Satan who is confusing the lost with their teachings.
The prior verse says, "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." We SHOULD know the facts... and not just basic facts like were in the survey in this article. How can we reach the lost if we don't know the facts and history behind our own belief? The study showed that the highest scores were among atheists, agnostics, and even mormons. Why do you think so many people are turning to these beliefs? Because they can support why they believe what they believe!
I am passionate about this. God convicted my heart deeply today when I read this study. And, I was deeply saddened by the undertone established with the statement that agnostics and atheists did best and the study showed the more educated you were, the better you did. Christians should not be ignorant (uninformed). It seemed to me to  lead that if you are educated you should know better than believing in God. I know it didn't say that... but think about it.
Guys, this isn't a debate about relationship or religion... it is about responsibility! Christ entrusted us with His calling to preach the gospel to the world so that none may perish. We need to KNOW the Word and we need to KNOW the enemy. 

It needs to start with me. God help me be the woman He needs me to be. Help me to study and write the Word of God on my heart and help me KNOW what I believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment