Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hallowed Be Thy Name

"Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed by thy name." What does hallowed mean and how does it apply to our relationship to God. Let's start off the week learning about God and His holiness. Hallowed means to honor as holy, greatly revered or respected. Are you honoring God as holy? Is He greatly revered and respected? What are you doing to show Him your reverence? Are you holy?

In Leviticus 20:7-8, the Lord says: "Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the Lord your God. Keep my decrees and follow them. I am the Lord, who makes you holy." To consecrate means to dedicate formally to a divine purpose. Do you realize you have a divine purpose? The only way to accomplish that purpose is to be holy (morally and spiritually excellent).

How in the world can we as mere humans be excellent? Lord knows as hard as I try I miserably fail at being excellent, especially when it comes to the battle between the flesh and the spirit. So how can this be accomplished? Go back to that verse and read it again. "Keep my decrees and follow them." The first step to holiness is obedience. Are you being obedient?

Even with obedience, we all struggle with the feeling of being LESS than holy. I know "HOLY" is not a word I would ever use to describe myself. No matter how hard I try, I just seem to fall short in that category. There are times I just kill myself working so hard at being "morally and spiritually excellent". I ware myself out trying.

But... maybe what I need to do (maybe you as well), is take a look at this verse in Leviticus. Read the very last section of that scripture. "I am the Lord, WHO MAKES YOU HOLY." You see, holiness is not something we attain on our own. Yes, we are to be obedient. Yes, we are to revere and respect God. But HOLINESS comes straight from God. It isn't an accomplishment we can attain on our own. It is a GIFT from God. HE makes ME (and you) holy!! Isn't that just exciting?

Let's put the first part of our study on prayer to work today. "Our Father, which art in heaven, HALLOWED be they name." Respect and revere God today by letting Him have His place and CONTROL in your life today. Be obedient and let HIM make you holy today. The way to let Him make you holy is to let Him have His way.

Our first step in prayer, is complete surrender to God. Are you letting God take control of your life today? Lord, I respect and honor you. The best way for me to honor you today is to let you control my life. Make me holy, make me morally and spiritually excellent today.

No comments:

Post a Comment