Thursday, May 21, 2009

Repeat Offenders

Are you a repeat offender? Do you look down on those who are? You know, it is very easy for us to look at the lives of others and see all the areas where they continue to screw up. I know I have been guilty of looking at someone else and wonder how in the world they can continue to mess up over and over again in the same area... all the while, I do the exact same thing. 

Or maybe you are like me and just can't seem to forgive yourself when you struggle or slip in a specific area. "I should do better than that." "How can I claim to be a Christian and still struggle in that area?" "How can God forgive me when I continue to make the same mistakes?" "I'll never be what God intended for me to be!"

As I have started this 90 day reading challenge, it has been so exciting to see things that I had never really noticed before. I knew about Abram telling Sarai to say she was his sister when they were visiting Egypt; but I didn't realize this happened at another instance.  Abraham and Sara were actually repeat offenders. Later on in Genesis 20, Abraham and Sarah do the same thing with King Abimelech.

You know, I wouldn't have thought as much about this, except this instance was after God's covenant with Abraham. It was after their names had been changed. This was after Abraham believed God's promise and it was credited to him as righteousness! You see we aren't talking about a sinful man here. We aren't talking about someone choosing to live in sin. We are talking about a man who later on in the book of Hebrews is exemplified as great man of faith. 

Are you a repeat offender? Do you feel like you have fallen short and may never amount to anything because of your struggle with a particular sin? Does Satan try to convince you that you may as well give up?

If you are struggling with your own inadequacies, I want you to go and read the stories of Abraham in the Bible. Look at the ups and downs of his life and his obedience. Even after all this, Abraham is a considered a great man of faith. His story continues to be an example even after all these years. You are only as inadequate as Satan can make you feel.

If you are a repeat offender, take hold of your circumstances today. BELIEVE GOD, just like Abraham, and continue serving Him. Don't let Satan's lies keep you from finding strength in the faith of trusting God to forgive.

We all have areas where we struggle with sin. If you don't

No comments:

Post a Comment