Sunday, May 17, 2009

Looking back


Let's not even talk about how long it has been since my last post. If you are learning anything about my humanity, it is that I am NOT very consistent. Good thing I am not getting paid to be routine with this... boy would I be in trouble! We'll talk about what God just said to me about that another time... Man is He good at convicting us in a heartbeat!

Facebook has been a great way for so many of us to WASTE hours and hours! Do I hear an AMEN? But, the one nice thing about it is finding old friends. This week a dear friend from elementary school found me. It is amazing how we can just pick up right where we left off. I am not so sure her husband is glad she found me, cause I think she may have woke him up laughing at my report of some past shenanigans. We were able to give each other a little history of all the things that have happened to us: marriage, kids, what we are doing, spiritual life. It was so nice to feel that connection again.

As we were talking about some things, talk of our past mistakes and orneriness came up. I know, I know... it is so hard to imagine me being ornery! (Did you just roll your eyes?) Anyway... it brought to mind an important lesson. The statement was made about wishing we could go back and change those mistakes.

So many people waste time dwelling on their past mistakes. Why did I do that? How could I be so stupid? Whether the mistake was 18 years ago or 18 minutes ago, we seem to carry that weight with us forever. God has given me such a peace lately about my mistakes. Yes, there are times I wish I could change them. I wonder how much happier I would be. I wonder how much more successful I would be. I wonder if!  But IF I had been different, I wouldn't be the person I am today and no one can tell if that would be a better new me or a worse new me.

God is so generous in His love for us that he "works all things out for the glory of those that love God." - even our mistakes, our regrets, and our failures! That isn't an excuse to keep on failing, but it is a freedom to move forward and stop dwelling on our past.  

You know what is so cool about Jesus? He is better than those old friends we find on facebook. We can start back right where we left off with Him... and we don't even have to catch up. He knows everything that has happened in between our mistakes. When we take the time to come back and get back in touch with Him, He is right there to start right where we left off.

I don't know where you are today. But if you are living in a "What if I would have..." state of mind. You need to quit looking behind and start thinking about what you can do with your life now. You know, my mistakes are the things that seem to make my testimony the most real-not just to other people, but to me. Start letting God show you how He is working the "mistakes" in your life out for good. You may just be surprised to see all God can do with a little ole  "failure" like you and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment