Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Revelations

Please don't sigh! I know when many hear the word "Revelations" they think of the last book of the Bible that is so difficult for many to understand. It has been said that it is the most difficult book to decipher. This may be true, but I want to look at the word "revelation" and what it means. While doing this, it may actually give you some insight on howto actually understand the book of "Revelations" as well.

Our N-house cell group at church has been studying the book of Galatians. I am so enjoying Bible study and not only relishing the new insights God is giving me, but the wisdom of my brothers and sisters in Christ as they read as well.

One of the ways God has been helping me to dig deeper into His Word is to actually go back to the Greek and Hebrew to discover the true meanings of various words and how they are used. This has been so interesting. So many things have a totally different intention, or at least broader meaning than we gather by quickly reading through the scripture.

These are the verses that struck me: "I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ." -Galatians 1:11-12

How did Paul know the TRUE gospel? By revelation!

Now if you are like me, you probably read this and think like I did. Ok, so Paul knows that it is a true gospel cause Jesus showed it to him... he revealed it to him. God was like, "OK man... I want you to get it straight. Here is the true gospel... it is right here. I am showing it to you. I revealed it, it had nothing to do with you."

Let me share with you what I found by doing my digging:

The word "revelation" is the Greek word apokalupsis . It's actual definition means : appearing, an uncovering, revealed. It is from the word apokaluptó which means: to reveal, to uncover. Do you see that there isn't one definition to this word? It is a two fold meaning.

Here is what God showed me in this study. A revelation is two fold. #1 Appearing which was an act done by God and #2 an uncovering which was Paul’s searching for. Even the root word is two fold: uncover (I must do) and reveal (God must do).

When God truly reveals Himself to you, or when He reveals something about His word...you will get the most revelation from it when you have actually be searching for the answer. When I dig deep and try to uncover the true meaning behind the scripture, then God reveals what He really wants me to see and know.

Are you asking God for revelation on some area of your life today? Are you reading the Bible, let's just say maybe Revelations, and need to understand it better? Do you need "Revelations" in your life today?

Maybe it is time to stop waiting on God to just "magically" appear and reveal while you sit around and wait. Maybe what God is wanting you to do today is look deeper, uncover a few things for yourself so that when He does reveal something to you, you will know it is truly a revelation from Him.

It is amazing what can be revealed to you when you join forces with God and really make an effort at uncovering His Word and His will for your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment