Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My "Blankie"


I have this blanket. No it isn’t the typical “blankie.” I have had this blanket since I was about 9 years old. My grandmother bought it for me for Christmas. It isn’t something I carry around with me. It isn’t something I can’t live without. And I can even sleep without it. But, it is my FAVORITE blanket. I seem to sleep better when I have it. I seem to be more comfortable with it than any other blanket or comforter in my house.

Do you have a favorite blanket, quilt, or comforter? I think we all can admit to favoring one blanket, even if we don’t call it our “blankie.” We laugh at toddlers carrying around their blankies, sucking their thumbs; but honestly, they have just found something that gives them comfort, something that makes them feel secure.

The bible talks about God being our Comforter. This morning as I was thinking about God comforting, I thought about my “blankie.” What an awesome picture! Can’t you just see yourself as a little toddler walking around sucking your thumb with your favorite blanket in your arm? What if we start thinking about God as that kind of comforter? What if we think of Him as something we always have with us, making us feel more secure and comfortable?

I never really thought of God as that kind of comforter before, but when I do, I instantly feel warm and cozy… just like I do when I have my “blankie.” When God is by my side, I sleep better because I know He has his arms wrapped around me keeping me secure.

II Corinthians 1:2-7 states it all so well. “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.”
The reason God is our comfort is so that we can comfort others. Don’t just think as God as your “blankie,’ but think of how you can wrap yourself around someone else who is struggling. Maybe you can be a comfort to them as well.
I don’t know about you, but on this rainy day, I am encouraged to know that I will have my “blankie” with me all day. And the Comforter I am talking about can do way more than that favorite blanket from my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment