Monday, July 21, 2008

Someone to Complete Me


Bridal gowns, fancy shoes, cakes, flowers, family bustling about, hair dressers, catered food… so much goes into a wedding. It is the celebration of finding that special someone. A person to love and cherish. A person to hold you when you cry and rejoice in your accomplishments. Wedding day is the celebration of finding that special someone that completes you.

This weekend was a bit bittersweet for me as I attended my cousins wedding. She FINALLY, as we all joked, got married. The reason for the length of her single life was not because of any fault of her own. She is extremely picky and knew exactly what she wanted and wasn’t willing to settle for anything less. She may have married later than some of us, but she decided she wasn’t going to marry anyone that wouldn’t complete her.

How can that be bittersweet you may ask? As I rejoiced in her happiness, I was reminded of my own failed marriage. I saw the love in her now new hubby’s eyes as she walked down the aisle and longed for someone to love me and look at me the same way. It is only natural for us all to want someone to love us, validate us, and complete us in a way no other can.

At the reception, the normal bouquet and garter toss was followed by a neat way to acknowledge the celebration of marriage. All the married couples were asked to come to the floor for a dance. It was beautiful to see the entire dance floor with couples arm in arm. Some were laughing; some were exchanging stares of endearment; some were being dragged out there by their spouse, but they all were celebrating the fact that they had someone in their life that is supposed to complete them. I am sure they all didn’t quite feel that way about one another, but the symbolism of completeness was beautiful.

As I was thinking about love, I was reminded of the Love Chapter in the bible and decided to read through it again. Love is so beautiful. We all want someone to “complete” us, to love us in the ways stated in Corinthians. We all want a love that “never fails”, “never dies”, a love that “endures all things.

However, this time when I read, I decided to go a little further. I love how the Message states the last idea of this passage:

“We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.” -I Corinthians 13:10

I was thinking about my own search for someone to complete me. I had no idea that my life would end up where it is today. I had no idea that I would still be searching for someone that TRULY completes me. When my cousin found her groom, all those that she dated before, all those that left her feeling incomplete… the thoughts of them were canceled when she joined herself with her groom.
We have one COMPLETE. Jesus is the groom that completes us. When he truly arrives in our lives; when we dedicate our love COMPLETELY to Him and no other; that is when our feeling of being incomplete will be canceled. I know I will still be looking for that man in my life to one day complete me; but maybe what I need to focus on more is to let the Groom, Jesus, complete me. Maybe I should remember that HE “never fails”, “never gives up”, and “endures forever.

I suggest that if you are searching for someone to complete you, you do as I am going to do this week. Pray that God will give you an overwhelming feeling of completeness in Him. Let him cancel all the incompletes in your life. That will be the best love story of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment