Friday, July 25, 2008

Pot Holes

I hate pot holes! It never fails when I am in the biggest hurry and paying the least bit of attention, I suddenly find myself jolting myself into a pot hole. I end up smearing my lipstick that I was applying or spilling soda all over me. I guess if I was paying more attention to the road that might not happen.

Not only do pot holes leave me with lipstick across my face and soda dribbling down my shirt, they can also cause some major damage to my car. Little pot holes aren't normally too bad, but the big ones… those can really mess up the alignment. My tires wear quicker and the steering gets all screwed up wanting to pull to the wrong direction. If I would just keep my eyes on the road and swerve around those pot holes, life would be much easier. And, my car would be in better shape - not to mention the money I could save on alignments and tires.

Have you ever thought about the pot holes in life? This week has been full of pot holes on my journey toward what God is calling me. Earlier in the week I read Philippians 2:14 which says, “Do everything without complaining or arguing.” Do you know how much I complained that day? But, I was aware of it and having that verse fresh in my mind kept me so much more aware.

I was able to control my complaining from being as hateful as it could have been. I had to wait for 40 extra minutes at the pharmacy because of someone else’s mistake. I was angry, and I complained, but remembering that verse brought me into check and I was able to swerve from the pot hole of smarting off to the cashier.

Last night I was vulnerable. I have missed the affection and intimacy that goes along with married life. Not only have I gotten communication from an old temptation all week, but someone popped online at my weakest moment last night ready to “take care of my needs” and let me “take care of his”.

Normally, since this is my area of biggest temptation at this point of my life, I may not have been strong. But God is so faithful! I had read Ephesians 4:19-20 that says, “They can’t think straight anymore. Feeling no pain, they let themselves go in sexual obsession, addicted to every sort of perversion. But that’s no life for you. You learned Christ.” I had been watching my path and saw the HUGE pot hole Satan was trying to get me to hit dead on.

Pot holes in our life cause destruction. If we don’t keep our eyes focused on God, His Word, and His direction in our life… it doesn’t take but a moment to be distracted. Once distracted, we tend to hit the pot holes dead on. Sometimes it is because we were looking another direction; other times it is cause we are just driving way too fast.

Pot holes cause damage. The jerking causes us to mess up our lipstick (leave visual reminders of the mistake); spill soda down our shirts (leave stains that won’t come out); wear out our tires too soon (make us weary); get our alignment all screwed up (makes steering the right direction so much harder). I am so thankful that I have recently had a new alignment. And, I am thankful that spending time with God made me aware and helped me keep my eyes on the road. If not, things may have turned out differently this week.

Maybe you are in need of a good alignment. Time to make an appointment with the mechanic. Make an appointment with God and ask Him to get you lined up with His purposes again. I guarantee it will make it so much easier to steer straight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment