Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fear

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
-Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

My girls hate going outside after dark. If they forget something in the car, I may as well forget them going after it alone unless I stand by to “watch out” for them. There are times as a mom I will get up and go out for them, go out with them, and stand by the door to “watch out”. And, as much as I hate to admit it, there are times I am too frustrated to deal with their silly little fears and make them go on their own.

Fear is paralyzing. I know good and well there is nothing in the five steps from our back door to the car that can harm them; but in their mind, one step could change their lives forever. What could be out there? Who could be standing in the corner to snatch them away? What might catch them by surprise? All they can do when they think about the journey from the back door to the car is all the unexpected things that could happen to them.

If I was the mom I should be, I would get up, hold their hand and reassure them I that there is not only nothing to be afraid of; but that I am also right there beside them, protecting them, leading their way. Isn’t it nice that God isn’t lazy like I am? Isn’t it nice that he isn’t glued to something more important at the moment? Isn’t it nice that even though He knows, we really don’t have anything to fear, He will be beside us anyway?

Being strong isn’t just something God asks us to do; He commands it. Have you ever noticed that every time God gives a command He also gives a promise? Seek and you shall find…knock and it will be answered….trust with all your heart and He will direct your paths.

God wants us to be strong and courageous. He doesn’t want us to be ruled by fear or terror. He doesn’t want us to be timid. He doesn’t want us to be discouraged. He commands us to get rid of all those things. Not only does He tell us to get rid of those things, but he promises to be there with us each step of the way. WHEREVER we go, with EVERY step.

What are you afraid of today? Is it a geographical move? Is it an area of your emotions that has been unchartered? Is it just taking a first step into the unknown? What is the darkness set before you?

My girls never have a problem running to the car when it is light outside. They can see what is ahead of them. There are no shadows or unknowns on those five little steps to the car. God is our light; with Him nothing can take us by surprise. No one can keep snatch us away. Remember that God is always right there by your side, no matter what darkness or fear you are facing today.

Lord, help me to remember that the unknown, is only in my mind. You are an all knowing God. You will direct my paths and you will be with me WHEREVER I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment