Friday, July 11, 2008

Decisions, Decisions!

“So watch your steps. Use your head.
Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times!
Don’t live carelessly, unthinkingly.
Make sure you understand what the Master wants.”
- Ephesians 5:16-17


The girls in the office and I laugh at our indecisiveness when it comes to decisions about where to get lunch from day today. For some reason, none of us want to be the one to choose. We feel like the vultures on the Jungle Book throwing around the decision of what to do. Funny thing about it, we all normally have a place we would favor, but I think we are afraid it isn’t what the others want.

I tend to have the same problem in other areas of decision making. I have something I want to do; but I am always worried it may not be the right decision- or even worse- it may not be the decision God wants me to make. I know how important decisions can be. Even small choices can impact the rest of your life!

Ephesians validates the importance of making right decisions. “These are desperate times!” Sometimes I am so desperate for an answer or guidance, that I forget to even think about “what the Master wants.” So how do I know if I am making a wise decision or not? How does an insecure woman- a woman who has failed one too many times- a spontaneous woman- how does she gain wisdom to make the RIGHT, GOD HONORING choices?

First of all we must do as it says in the verse above. USE YOUR HEAD! God didn’t give us brains not to use them. I see so many Christians using their “feelings and emotions monitor” to determine whether or not to do something. They use their emotions as a false leading of the Holy Spirit. God made us in His image and that included brains.

The next thing is to make sure we know what God wants. I know, that is SO hard to do at times. We all know what to do when it comes to things that are sins… JUST SAY NO! However, life is full of decisions that have nothing to do with choosing right or wrong, but more about choosing what’s best.

Do I go on a date with this person? Do I buy that new house or wait a year? Do I let my children go to that birthday function? These all seem like little choices, but it is the outside factors that sometimes worry us into whether we are making the right decision or not. The person you are going to go out with may have a trait you just aren’t sure about. Buying the new house could keep you a little too short on cash and put added stress on your marriage. Your kids may be around a not so great influence, but get to spend extra time with their dad. So what do you do?!?!?!

A co-worker came across this scripture yesterday and shared it with me. It is James 3:17 and says, “But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.” This verse is the key to making wise decisions. I looked up the verses in a couple different versions and made an easy reference chart to help me when making decisions.

WAYS TO IDENTIFY GODLY WISDOM


As you face important choices in your life today, try not to rely on your emotions. USE YOUR HEAD! And then, take a look at this chart. Is your decision pure? Does it help you get along with others? Are you being gentle and considerate? Is it a reasonable and submissive? Are you showing mercy in your decision? Does it show good fruits or overflow with blessings? Are you being impartial or swinging on a hot/cold pendulum? Are you being sincere, avoiding being two-faced, without being a hypocrite?

I think if you use this as a guide for future decisions, you fill find you will make better choices. Don’t forget the most important thing… PRAY. Make sure you know what the Master wants before making any decision.


“Dear Lord, help us to rely more on you when making decisions.
Help us to trust the wisdom you so freely give us. Help us to use our heads.”

No comments:

Post a Comment