Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Delayed Obedience

SERIOUSLY!! Lost keys. I don't have time for this! Have you been there?
Searching through my house frantically for the only set of keys to my van, all I can think about is being late AGAIN for my accounting class.

"I don't have time for this Lord. Please help me find my keys," I beg as stacks of papers get shuffled on my desk and covers are shook at the residence of the missing keys' last known residing place.

The Holy Spirit whispers. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you."

"Well that doesn't help me find my keys! But yes Lord, I know I didn't have my devotions this morning. I lost track of time." Mattresses being scooted out form the wall in hopes the keys had fallen behind my bed.

"Seek ye first... and all these things," another whisper.

By this time I have realized that I am not going to make it to class, but my frustration and stubbornness leave me in no mood to seek anything that has to do with righteousness, let alone approaching the throne of God. I pray again as if He hasn't heard or answered me; not before, however, I make a post on Facebook about the status of my inability to accomplish the agenda for the day because of missing keys.

As I click submit, my pink leather bound bible beacons for my attention.

"Ok Lord," I say as if His instructions were so difficult to understand-much less obey.

Picking up my bible, my eyes search the scattered belongings lying on my bedroom floor. "Where is my notebook I use for study time?" I pick up a pair of jeans strewn over a pile of notebooks and papers. There lies my business portfolio, half closed, with calendars and my notebook peeking out from the edges.

I open it. And there they are. Lying right beside the notebook I write all my daily downloads from devotions and bible study... are my keys.

What you are thinking right now-I was feeling.


How often do we do this with God? Pray for answers, help, direction, discernment. And then, when God gives us instructions they seem totally unrelated or we are just too distracted to obey... we question God as to why He isn't acting. When all along, He has already answered-the discovery of His actions is just dependence upon our obedience.

What is your delayed obedience keeping you from today? Reconciliation in a conflicted relationship? The job of your dreams in a different state? Connection with a stranger who you may be the only light of Jesus they see? You don't have to understand the why to obey. It will later be revealed in a blessing. The path of obedience leads to a blessed life.

"You are to walk in every pathway that the LORD your God commanded you, so that life may go well for you, and so that you will prolong your days in the land that you will possess."  -Deuteronomy 5:33

Delayed obedience = delayed blessing. Don't delay God's answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment