Saturday, May 23, 2009

Follow Through

I can't tell you how good it feels to follow through. I posted a video earlier this evening even though I hadn't done my daily reading. I felt horrible. I didn't feel like reading and I knew my body was just exhausted. Do you ever feel like that? There is something you KNOW God wants you to do; but you are just so overwhelmed, tired, or even distracted that you find it impossible.

You know. A lot of times we make a commitment and then when we feel like we can't follow through we just give up. Tonight... I wanted to give up on my challenge. Just as I was being honest in my video about how I felt, I began to be charged about keeping my commitment. Was I still tired? YES!!! Did I still need to rest? YES!!! Did I have to make adjustments to my evening? YES!!! 

Here is what I want you to think about. We make lots of commitments in our lives. We make family commitments, work commitments, commitments at church, and commitments to God. I think sometimes we make so many commitments and get so overwhelmed with trying to follow through, that we kill ourselves and come to resent the very commitment we made.

As I thought about the chore of doing my reading tonight, I almost became angry that I had made another commitment knowing there was NO WAY I would ever be able to read this much in such a short time period. The more angry I became (and it was a self-anger) the worse I felt and the more I felt like giving up.

Now stop a minute and think. God loves us! What good is reading through the Bible in 90 days or anything else we may commit ourselves to if in the long run we resent it?!? It was ok for me to rest first. It was ok for me to have my kids fend for themselves for supper. It was ok for me to just go on to bed. It was ok for me to know my own limitations.

Here's where the commitment comes in. If I would have just done all those things and disregarded my commitment, THEN God would have been disappointed. But... I just had to find a way to make adaptations. I had to work a little harder at following through. I had to set my alarm for 10:30 to get up. I had to STOP pushing snooze. I had to get up out of the bed. I had to sit in front of the air conditioner to stay awake to read at first. I HAD TO MAKE AN EFFORT! and WANT to keep my commitment... even through the tough part.

You know what the coolest thing about it was? I ENJOYED IT!!!! I read my allotted pages in record time because I was enjoying so much. I even laughed out loud at some of the stories I read tonight! And to be honest, even though it is midnight, I may keep on reading. God's Word is becoming so interesting... even the genealogies!

I know this commitment isn't easy. Any commitment you make to God is going to be a challenge. WHY? Because Satan hates to see us keep our commitments to God and make Him happy! Keep hanging in there. Don't give yourself freedom to fail. As I laid down I prayed that I would have the will power to get up when my alarm sounded. I also proclaimed out loud the Word of God, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Nothing defeats Satan more than speaking the Word of God against him.

It is time to Follow Through. Keep on reading and keep on SHINING!

No comments:

Post a Comment